I have not posted regularly the last weeks because I have been traveling and in some emotional distress. I picked up a booked that attracted me for the title it is called a half empty heart, that illustrates very well the state of being not only in pain but with pessimism, and my saint husband putting up with me!
Anyway I can't stand not posting something so I looked trough my pictures to find something that didn't require too much research to post and this is what I came up with:
HOW TO TAKE YOUR DOG FROM GUATEMALA TO THE US
We got Dante on January 2003, so as Megan always points out she is not the youngest in the family Dante is!
In December 2003 we decided to move to the US and sure enough we had to take Dante. We didn't take him immediately because we weren't sure if we were going to have a place to have him, but then once we got settled in we came back to pick him up.
The procedure is really easy:
1. Take Dante to a Veterinarian registered and authorized at the US embassy with a cost of about $20.00
2. Go collect a stamp and a letter of export a cost of about $5.00
3. Take the paperwork to the embassy and pay about $50.00
4. With all that buy a ticket, about $200.00
Then comes the tricky part which we didn't know.
5. You show up at the airport all the family packed, Dante in the crate, ticket paid, now they need to verify the temperature in the landing airport if it is above 100F they won't take it. We were going to Dallas in August.... Fortunately they check the weather at the time the flight leaves: 7:00 am so it was only 90F!
6. Arrive at Dallas and hope the plane doesn't have to taxi too long or it can be fatal to the dog.
7. Get off the plane, go through passport check point, then luggage claim. There we kept waiting for the someone to show up with the crate, when nothing happened we started getting nervous.
8. We actually had to first clear customs and I guess Dante didn't so they were waiting with him already at the end of the whole process.
9. Since they won't do connecting flights with dogs. Tom drove from Kansas to pick us up at DFW to then drive back home, then in Baldwin City, KS.